Monday, September 15, 2014

Where is Our Refuge?

O. T. #364  "Where is Our Refuge?
Sept. 15, 2014
Numbers 35
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Psalm 46:1

LET IT GLOW

When we are overwhelmed by things happening in our life, in times of trouble, where do we go for our refuge? There are so many options which people run to for comfort, escape, help-drugs, alcohol, friends, work. God wants to be our refuge, our strength, our help in time of trouble. He stretches out His hand and bids us to come to Him. Those who are burdened and heavy laden, come. Find rest in Jesus.

You will recall that the Levite tribe, those of the priesthood, were not allowed to inherit land when Israel came into Canaan, the Promised Land. However, God allowed them to live in 48 cities throughout the land. This was so they could teach the law to the tribes and exert spiritual influence on them (Joshua 13:33; Deut. 18:1-2). Also, the Levites were given suburbs around each city for the grazing of their cattle, for their goods, and all their beasts. (verse 2)

A suburb was defined as open country whither flocks are driven for pasture; hence the area around a building, or the margin of the sea.

I don't recall reading the word suburb in the Bible, do you? Our modern suburbs are different. People live in the suburbs of large cities, but the grass is scarce. Often there is only a few feet of grass in the front or back yard around each house. I suppose folks are happy to live that way, but it is not for me.

Are we willing to take the gospel to the suburbs? Are we willing to move there to be a witness or missionary? Humm.

LET IT GROW

This chapter not only discusses suburbs, but it also talks about the cities of refuge. What are they?

Wiersbe's Expository Outlines on the Old Testament explains:
  • Six cities were appointed, with 3 on each side of the Jordan River, to be such.
  • Since Israel had no police force, the elders in each city constituted a "court" to consider capital crimes.
  • If a person accidently killed another person, without murderous intent, called manslaughter, then they needed some kind of protection was needed for that person. The elders would meet him, hear his case, and hold a trial. If it was clear that the slaying was accidental, then the person would be allowed to live in the city under their protection. The avenger of blood could not touch such a one.
  • If the person was guilty of murder, he would be turned over to the proper authorities and then slain (Deut. 19:11-13).
  • If the person left the city of refuge, he could be slain.
  • When the high priest died, the person would be free to return to his own city safely.
  • This law was given to prevent uncondemned murderers living throughout the nation, thus leading Israel into deeper sin.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
In Hebrew, this refuge means a cliff; a high fort, defense.

Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast. Psalm 57:1
This refuge means to flee for protection; to confide in: have hope, put trust.

In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in
God. Psalm 62:7
Refuge is a shelter; hope, trust. (Same definition for the following verses.)

I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I
trust. Psalm 91:2


I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.  Psalm 142:5

Saul and his army of 3,000 Israelites were pursuing David to take his life. As David trusted in God's protection, he lived through it all, about 12 years worth.

Is God our defense, protection, hope, shelter, in whom we trust?
Will we find our refuge in our God or in something else? He awaits, friend, with open arms.

LET IT GO
                    ...and run to Jesus for my refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment