Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Are Are You Settling for Second Best or God's Perfect Best?

O. T. #360  "Are You Settling for Second Best or God's Perfect Best?
Sept. 9, 2014
Numbers 32-Part 2
But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the LORD, and you may be sure that your sin will find you out.  Numbers 32:23

LET IT GLOW

As a child, did you ever try to hid something from your parents? Something you did wrong and they would not approve nor be happy about? Yes, I have done those things as a teenager, lying and deceiving my parents, using my friends when making up stories to cover my sins. Ouch! Eventually, the truth came out. I had to admit my sins, my wrongs. Yes, my sins found me out. It was not a pretty picture they painted of me, either.
My way was not the best way. The path I was on was wrong for me. My parents were trying to guide me and protect me from bad mistakes I could have regretted  for the rest of my life. I thank God for wise parents. With His help, I didn't settle for second best nor a big mess in my life. It was His perfect best that He gave to me, though I had to wait for it. I am forever thankful. I am so blessed with God's perfect best for my life!

We left the two tribes of Gad and Reuben requesting to stay in the land where Israel was already living. It was the land they had already conquered from Moab. The land was good for grazing and they had herds of livestock which needed grazing. These guys were living by sight and not by faith. They desired what was easy, not enduring the hard times, not wanting to fight enemies for a land they had not seen, to obtain God's perfect best for them. They settled for second best.

For what do we settle? Are we willing to fight for what we know is God's perfect best for us or second best? Of course, it may require faith and to be in a spiritual fight. Remember, God gave victory to the Israelites in some of the most unusual ways.

What did Moses warn these two tribes?
If they turned away from following God, He would again leave all this people in the desert, and you will be the cause of their destruction. It would be a life or death situation if Gad and Reuben tribes turned away and did not obey God's instructions. If they bowed down to other gods and worshiped them instead, they would be destroyed.  (Deut. 30:17-18)

Do we warn our loved ones who turn to their own ways and desires, away from following God?

LET IT GROW

How did the tribes of Gad and Reuben respond to Moses' warning?
  • We would like to build pens for our livestock.
  • We want to build fortified cities for their women and children's protection while we are gone helping Israel.
  • We are ready to arm ourselves and go ahead of the Israelites until we have brought them to their place.
  • We give up any right to inheritance of land on the other side of Jordan.
Do we arm ourselves with the whole armor of God, as Ephesians 6 tells us before we go out to battle in the world? Salvation, righteousness, truth, peace, faith, Word of God are our armor against the temptations and evil that surround us.

Have we found our place of service unto the Lord? Will we help others find their place in which God has for them to serve? Are we willing to give up our rights, our will, to obey and follow God?

Moses did not take all of this lightly, did he? What were the requirements he laid out before these leaders?
  • If you arm yourselves before the LORD for battle,
  • if all of you will go armed over the Jordan before the LORD until He has driven His enemies out before Him,
  • then when the land is subdued before the Lord, you may return and be free from your obligation to the LORD and to Israel.
  • This land will your possession before the LORD.
  • But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the LORD; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out.
  • Build pens and cities, but do what you promised.
Do we stand up for God's Word and principles for us to live by, proclaiming abortion and homosexuality, fornication, adultery, drug abuse, and alcohol use as sinful. Do we show others the righteous way to live? Are we prayer warriors for our brothers and sisters and children? The devil is working hard to destroy their lives. Shouldn't we work hard to bring them to the light of Jesus? Stay in the fight, dear one. Press on. fight the good fight of faith. Victory is around the corner.

Stay with me, friends. We will find out how all of this turns out next post.
Are you are contemplating settling for second best or continuing to march for your Promised Land?
Keep in mind that nothing can stand against our God who is greater, stronger, mightier, higher than any other. If our God is for us, who can stop us? If He is with us, who can stand against us? (Chris Tomlin's song)

LET IT GO

Realize that my sins will find me out.

Bring my failures, sins, lack of faith before the throne of God. Confess and ask forgiveness, so they are under the blood of Jesus.

Ask for faith to carry on to accomplish His will.

Trust and obey, for there is no other way, to be happy in Jesus, than to trust and obey.

Pray and encourage others that are in a spiritual battle.

Don't settle for second best, but strive for God's perfect the best for our life, our Promised Land.

Give God the glory for the victories.



No comments:

Post a Comment