Thursday, September 26, 2013

What's in Your Hand?

O.T. #135  "What's in Your Hand?"
Sept. 26, 2013
Exodus 4-Part 1
And the Lord said unto him, What is that in thine hand? and he said, a rod.  Exodus 4:2

LET IT GLOW

Okay, when I get out in the field with the herd of cows, I carry a big stick. Those cows are taller than I am, weigh at least a thousand pounds more than I do, and can butt me down to the ground and horn me or stomp on me before I can blink an eye. (Not to mention the huge bull.) This 4'10" gal has to look big, sound confident, and be ready to defend herself if need arises. When I carry a big stick, I am confident and hold my position out there among the girls (cows). Of course, I ask Jesus to come be a cowboy beside me. (Especially when the cows are out of the fence and don't want to go back where they came from.) He is already my Shepherd. He owns a cattle on a thousand hills, so it's no big deal for Him. Jesus has been faithful all my 50 plus years. I have yet to have those fears come true. I believe that God is all-powerful, so He makes even my enemies, this case cows, be at peace with me when I am in His will.
Moses carried a shepherd's staff, stick, rod. However, he didn't feel as confident as I did when it came to leading God's people. Look with me at what excuse he gave.

Can't we all look back in our past and see areas where we failed the Lord? Then the devil wants to beat us up with guilt, try to convince us that our words are no good anymore. but God is the God of 2, 3, 5, 10, 50, 100, 1000, even a million chances. He forgives us and sets us up on the Rock.

Excuse #3: I may not receive all of their respect.

Moses displayed his fear of being ridiculed, and his lack of personal prestige. He showed himself to be a worrier. His excuse begins with the words what if, displaying that he was overly anxious about a purely hypothetical situation. (Swindoll)

The thing is, Moses voiced his concern after God had told him that the Hebrews would follow his leadership (3:18).

They will not believer me (verses 1-9). Moses' statement was nothing but open unbelief.
(Wiersbe)

I am not convincing. Moses had no confidence in flesh; but he now lacked confidence in God.

Do we feel that our past is the reason people will not listen nor believe us when we try to witness to them about our Lord?
That should not be our focus, friend. Jesus should be our focus; he wonderful works; His mercy and grace shown to us sinners.
How do you handle feelings raised by the fear of not having the respect of others?
What qualifies a person to be effectively used of God? Can't he use the stones, wind, sea to proclaim His power and majesty?

LET IT GROW

What was God's answer to Moses a third time?
  • By performing two of three miraculous acts before Moses' very eyes, God demonstrated His power.
  • Rod turned into a serpent, then back into a rod.
  • Moses' clean hand became white with leprosy, back clean.
  • Later, God turned water of the Nile River into blood.
The rod and hand of Moses would become his credentials before the people. God takes what we have in our hands and uses it, if we but trust Him. Of itself, the rod was nothing, but in God's hands it became power. Moses' hand had previously killed an Egyptian. God showed him that He could heal the weakness of the flesh and use Moses for His glory. (Wiersbe)

The Lord was promising Moses that he could count on His power to back up his words. (Swindoll)

God quickly gave Moses sign or miracle to perform as proof  that the Hebrew people would believe Moses's words. (Falwell)

How does this apply to us?
  • God likes to use what is in our hand. He used not a scepter in Moses' royal hand, but a shepherd's staff.
  • Learn to do what God tells us to do, even when it's uncomfortable. Moses grabbed the tail of a snake, which could have turned and bit him.
  • Obey God and your enemies will be powerless.
  • Obey God and your pollution can be made pure.
  • Less than 10% of what we worry about actually happens.
Are we using this excuse today so we don't do what God wants us to do today?
What's in your hand/hands that God wants to use for His glory or to meet the needs of someone?

LET IT GO

Open my hands to God and let Him use what I have for His glory and to meet the needs of others.

Trust Him to multiply the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment