Monday, September 30, 2013

Speeches

O.T. #136  "Speeches
Exodus 4-Part 2
And Moses said unto the LORD, O Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue. Exodus 4:10

LET IT GLOW

Imagine having an appointment to go speak with the President of our country. How would you react? I would be tongue-tied and stuttering because of the high position  that I respect. I would definitely prepare my speech and choose my words carefully to communicate my message.
Moses was questioning his abilities as God was preparing him to go talk to the king of Egypt.
Although, he wasn't jumping for joy at the opportunity. He still had excuses to God's call.

Excuse #4: I do not have all the ability.

Moses had been a powerful speaker in Egypt 40 years earlier. (Acts 7:22) However, his 40 years in the desert did not open up any speaking engagements, except to the sheep. Moses felt inadequate to carry out the task that God was calling him to do.

I am not gifted. Moses was looking at himself and his failures instead of God and his power. He argued that he was not a gifted speaker, but the same God who made his mouth could use it. Moses was willing to trust a weak man of flesh instead of the living God of heaven.

What were Moses' excuses this time?
  • I am not eloquent, which means a man of words.
  • I am slow of speech.
  • I am of a slow, which means heavy, thick,  tongue.

I wonder if this excuse is used more often by God's folks when He wants them to speak to someone about spiritual matters, about salvation in Jesus, than any other excuse.


LET IT GROW

The Lord responded with questions:
  • Who gave man his mouth?
  • Who make him deaf or mute?
  • Who gives him sight or makes him blind?
  • Is it not I, the LORD?
God did not pause in order for Moses to answer His questions. He didn't intend for Moses to answer them, did He? God knew that Moses knew that the answers-God did it all.

Tongues are such a small thing to control.

NIV puts verse 12 this way: Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.

I wonder if God is beginning to get put out with Moses and his excuses. but then, God is patience.
Does He get impatient with me an my excuses?

LET IT GO

No time for excuses when God calls me to do a task.

Yes Sir! I'll get right on it.

Control my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment