Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Bucket Full of Faith

Hebrews 11-Part 20
Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance, that they might obtain a better resurrection.  Hebrews 11:33-35


LET IT GLOW

I recall having a big mud puddle beside our garage when I was a little girl. I would spend hours dipping a bucket into the water, filling it full, setting it down by my pile of dirt, then adding the water to make mud pies. Of course, the pies served no purpose, but I enjoyed the process. I want to have a bucket full of faith. I don't want to settle for just a teaspoonful. Oh, I don't consider myself a strong warrior, a great king, or a dedicated prophet for God. I'm just me, a country gal, striving to please my Savior in faith and obedience in my little corner of the world. Yet, isn't that what the Heroes of Faith did? Sometimes their corner was big and in the limelight. Sometimes they were ordinary folks called by God to do extraordinary things. Sometimes they were plain and simple with a lot of faith in their God. Whatever words describe me, I wanna have a bucket full of faith.

What has happened throughout the ages to Old Testament believers? Our key verse lists some things, but first I want to see what promises they obtained.

Promises means a promised good or blessing, according to Thayer's Lexicon.

God's promises were and are:
  • victorious over enemies,
  • concerning the Messiah,
  • of everlasting life and happiness,
  • rich in grace by which believers who received them, believed them, and waited for the accomplishment of them,
  • for the future and invisible to them,
  • great in themselves and precious to saints,
  • all obtainable,
  • sure and certainly fufilled,
  • the work and business of faith to receive and enjoy them. (John Gill)

Liberty Bible Commentary has this to say:
2 Corinthians 1:20 says, For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
The promises of God find their affirmation and fulfilllment in Christ.

2 Corinthians 7:1 states, Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
These promises of God demand a purity of heart and life on the part of those who receive them.

What promises is Paul talking about here? Looking at the previous verses, 6:16-18, we find God said:I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people (Ex. 29:45 and Lev. 26:11-12, which is applicable to all who are sons of Abraham by faith); Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will receive you (Is. 52:11-12, Ez.20:34); And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters (Is. 43:6 and Hosea 1:10). The exhortation is to holiness before God and reconciliation with the apostle.
We have the indwelling Holy Spirit Himself as a down payment, pledge, or redemption, our surety and security of all that is to follow in the final salvation of the believer (2Cor. 1:22).

Please Lord Jesus, cleanse me of all my sins. I want You to walk with me, to dwell with me, to be my
God. Help me to be separated from the world and follow Your ways.


LET IT GROW

Looking at our key verse, let's go back and pick up phrases that were skipped.
By faith some were victorious over their circumstances. They:
  1. subdued kingdoms: David-Syria, Moab, Ammon, Amalek, Edom, and Philistines (2 Sam. 8:12-14); Joshua, King Asa, Jehoshaphat, King Hezekiah, King Josiah. These kings subdued kingdoms by faith, yet not with fighting. This should encourage believers in the combat with powers of darkness.
  2. worked righteousness: Elijah, Elisha, and all the prophest of God, and King Josiah also. They exercised vindictive justice, in taking vengeance on the enemies of God and His people. True actions of faith are operating grace, works by love, has righteousness as its fruit and is evidence of faith, is received.
  3. stopped the mouths of lions: Daniel, David, Benaiah, one of David's might men, Samson. When we're in the midst of men, comparable of lions, we do not fear the devouring lion, Satan.
  4. quenched the violence of fire: Sadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refused to bow to Neb's statue; Lot was delivered from Sodom's fire and brimstone; the Lord's fire consumed complainers after Moses prayed at Taberah (Numbers 11:1-2). Believers quench fiery darts of Satan and are untouched by the fire of God's wrath at the second death (lake of fire).
  5. escaped the edge of the sword: David escaped both Goliath and Saul's swords; Moses escapted Pharaoh's sword; Elijah escaped Jezebel's sword; Lot, Abraham, Joshua, the Judges, and Elisha all escaped.
  6. were made strong out of weakness: Sarah, Gideon, Abraham, Esther, King Hezekiah, David; Samson was filled with courage and strength of mind.
  7. became valiant in battle: David, King Asa, Jehoshaphat, Barak, Gideon wear engaged in good cause, under a good Captain. We're provide with an armor, assured of victory, and a crown.
  8. were women who received their dead raised to life again: The widow of Zarepheth (1Kings 17:22) and the Shunamite (2Kings 4:34-35). Their sons were really dead and athey received them alive again, from the hands of the prophets, Elijah and Elisha, in the way of a resurrection, and by faith. 
[Resources: John Gill Bible Commentaries, David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible ]

Now if that doesn't ring my bell, nothing will. I, too, am promised good, or blessings. I can see how faithful God was in all of those circumstances, can't you? What a mighty God we serve-El Shaddai!!!
Lord, forgive me when I doubt. You are the same God back then and now. surround me with Your shield of faith.

By faith, Linda...


LET IT GO

Keep a pure heart and life before God.

Stay on my knees in prayer every morning.

Remain in the Word so the Word remains in me.

Let go of doubt and grow in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment