Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Looking Back Over the Year

 #2346 "Looking Back Over the Year"

Dec. 27, 2022

Malachi 2-Part 4

LET IT GLOW

I think it is good to look back over the past year and evaluate my life. Did I follow Jesus? Did I do what He calls me to do? Is my faith growing or just is? Do others see Jesus in me? Am I helping them feel loved, wanted, and needed?

You will recall that Israel had 6 different questions challenging God. 

The first one was How have you loved us?(1:1-5) They were guilty of not affirming the unconditional love of the Lord.

The second one was How have we despised Your name? (1:6-2:9)

The priests and national spiritual leaders of Israel showed contempt for sacrifices to God, His glory, and His law. The unclean and blemished animal sacrifices were forbidden by the Lord. (Lev. 22; Deut. 15:21) Their governor would not have even accepted them. How could the Jews expect God to extend His grace when they were insulting Him with unacceptable sacrifices? By refusing to lead the people to reverence and offer the Lord their best, their attitude and actions were profaning the altar and insulting to the Lord, King of the universe. (1:6-14)

Do we give God our leftovers or our best and first? How worthy is our Provider, Savior, Healer, Intercessor of our best!

LET IT GROW

The Jews were showing contempt for God's glory, by not giving Him the honor and glory for who God is. Instead of blessing His people for obedience, they deserved cursing for disobedience. God was trying to shake the priests out of their complacency by warning them in verse 3 what would happen if they did not repent and change their ways. 

Next, the leaders and priests were guilty of contempt (lack of respect and reverence) for God's law. They were to live godly lives as they taught the people and represented God to the people as they taught the Law of Moses. Being a bad example and departing from God's standards was unacceptable. As a result, shame and degradation fell upon them. (Neh. 13:29)

It is always good to take inventory of our life every now and then. Are we living what we proclaim? Do we show love to others, as the Father has loved us? Do we show mercy as we receive His mercy? When we beg for forgiveness, do we forgive others in the same way? So many times I fall short. 

LET IT GO

Jesus, help me let go of hurt and hard feelings toward others. 

May I be gracious and merciful, kind and generous to others, for You have given them to me.

Change my heart as I look backwards and learn from my mistakes.

Help us look forward to the new year You have for me. Use me for Your glory today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment