Friday, November 25, 2022

 Golden Anniversary

Today we made it. We climbed the highest mountain, survived the storms, went through rough seas of life, together. It is hard to believe that it has been 50 years since we said, "I do."  Oh, it wasn't the wedding of the year. That happened the night before when two of our friends got married. It was a simple ceremony that Saturday night-my cousin stood beside me, his brother beside him, and our pastor in front. A church full of our families and church family came.  My parents did not want us getting married. They had plans for me to go to college instead. So I had to decorate the church and reception room by myself. (They knew hard times was ahead for us, since I was only 18 and he was 19.) He didn't have a job and I had never had one.  This back-woods boy and country girl who thought they knew what love was got married and survived the hardships of life.

Eight years later we moved with two children to attend a university. We graduated and he pastored (worked part-time jobs) and I taught in elementary schools. We moved around the state and even in West Virginia, as the Lord opened the doors. So many people and experiences during those years to recall.

We were able to move back home after being gone 17 years. Funny that we had our 25th anniversary after we moved back. He pastored 22 years at the same church and I taught at 2 schools.  We bought a tire shop to supplement our income so I could retire. We had it 16 years and sold it 2 months ago.

Memories. Hardships. Trials. We all have them. I realize that few make it through 50 years of marriage, though. God has certainly been with us, faithfully providing, strengthening our faith, using us to share His gospel of love. so many have come to Christ during those years of ministry. I would not trade it for anything, even though we were away from our parents and family.

Yesterday we spent Thanksgiving alone, eating a meal we both cooked, watching parades, football, and shows together. It was peaceful, just the two of us. As you get older, it doesn't take much to live happily ever after. We gave thanks for our meal and family together.

How did we do it, last 50 years? Loving each other, caring for each other, lifting each other up when down, forgiving each other, and loving God. However long we have left together, we will continue to give thanks.

Our celebration today will be going out to eat, avoiding crowds of shoppers, and saying "I love you!" He offered to take me to Hawaii, but I have opted for a new house. We have lived in this cold in the winter and hot in the summer house that I grew up in long enough. It is hard on these old bones. My rocking chair is there when I need it, but not today. We have places to go and things to do. (Probably, we will spend a few days in Branson next week, less you think we are doing nothing.)

So friends, have a blessed day. Share God's love wherever you are and go. 

Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! (2 Cor. 9:15)

That verse came up on my devotional reading this morning. I know it refers to salvation in Jesus Christ, but can it also apply to our gift of 50 years?





No comments:

Post a Comment