Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Old Things and New Things

O. T. #1641 "Old and New Things"
March 4, 2020
Isaiah 42-Part 3
Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them. (verse 9)

LET IT GLOW

I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. (verse 8)

Jehovah, Yahweh, is the LORD's name. That was the name by which He made Himself known to the patriarchs. Also, He manifested Himself by the name of God Almighty.

LORD refers to Jehovah, Self-Existent or Eternal; glory means splendor, honor; praise is laudation (act of praising), a hymn.

Chapter 26 verse 4 says, Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD Jehovah is everlasting strength.

We trust in God as our security and trust in being sustained by Him for He is our object of our faith or trust. We are to give Him honor above all and praise for Who He is. Thank God for what He does.

God is a jealous God. He says so in Exodus 20:5. Jehovah alone is to receive glory and praise and worship. God will not give away His praise and glory to another nor to graven images. Is Judah listening? God would send the Messiah to open the eyes of men so they would turn from serving dumb idols to serving the living God. He will perform His word because He will not lose the honor of being true to it or be ever charged with falsehood by the worshippers of false gods. God will deliver His people from under the power of idolaters because it looks as if He had given His praise to graven images when He gives up His own worshippers to be worshippers of images.
[Resource: Matthew Henry's Commentary]

Are we listening? This is to be taken seriously. The first two Commandments tell us to not have any other gods before Jehovah nor are we to bow down to graven images. He shows mercy, loving kindness, to those who love Him and keep His Commandments.

I there anything that is more important to you and me than God is? If so, then we have made it an idol.

LET IT GROW

Remember that God said He has called you for a righteous purpose, and He will hold you by your hand. (verse 6)
A couple of months ago our church bulletin had that verse on its front, so I saved it. Its background is of a yellow sunset with a dark sky above and stars with clouds. We are reminded that we need Him every hour and every minute.

Now, read our key verse above. God is proclaiming His greatness when He predicts the former things and new things. Nothing catches our God by surprise. He knows everything that has happened and will happen to Israel and us.
What two things are the Lord declaring?
  1. First former things have come to pass. The former things are already fulfilled or about-to-be fulfilled prophecies of Isaiah. God brought Israel through many battles, into the Promised Land, and provided for them.
  2. Next, the new things pertain to the future accomplishments of the Lord through His Messiah-Servant when He comes. The Lord uses His church to proclaim the gospel to the lost. He brings His church through former burdens, trial, and changes. She has hope for more mercies, care,  compassions, and spiritual blessings that are still new, awaiting in her future. So it is with us believers in Christ.
So let the past be in the past. Look forward to the new thing God is going to do in our life. In the meantime, while we are waiting for the return of the Messiah.

Whom the Son sets free, is free indeed! I'm a child of God, Yes I am. In my Father's house, there's a place for me. I'm a child of God, yes I am.

I enjoy those praise songs to Jesus' glory. What a reunion time of seeing my Savior and loved ones! Woohoo!

LET IT GO
Glory to God in the highest!
How can I say thanks enough for all You have done for me, Jesus!
May I fulfill my purpose while I am living here for Your glory.
And all that is within me praises Your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment