Friday, June 21, 2013

Are Your Reservations Made?

O.T.#74 "Are Your Reservations Made?
June 21, 2012
Genesis 35-Part 4
Then he breathed his last and died and was gathered to his people, old and full of years.
Genesis 35:29a  NIV

LET IT GLOW

When I have reservations made for an airplane flight, I know what the time of its departure is.
I get my things ready to take and pack my bags. Then I arrive at our regional airport at least an hour ahead of the time designated for the plane's departure. Even though I know that I'll be sitting around waiting for the time to pass, I still make preparations to be there early. I don't want to miss my flight, nor do I want my bags left behind.

I'm excited to tell you that I have reservations made for me to arrive in heaven some day. Jesus has already made them for me. He even paid the air fare, too. The only thing is, I don't know the time of my departure. But that's where faith comes in. I'm ready to go any time. The older I get, the closer
it  seems. Have you made preparations for your departure? Has your reservation in heaven already been made? Jesus is the only ticket that will get you there. In John 14:6, Jesus tells us that He is the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by Him.

Today, we are wrapping it up for Isaac. Jacob had to race against time in order to get back to
Mamre, known as Hebron, some 22 miles south of Jerusalem. When Jacob left his father after the deception and blessings, he thought Isaac was at death's door, some 20 years earlier. But Jacob has the opportunity to see his father one last time before Isaac dies. Our times are in God's hands. Only
God knows how long or short our life will be.

Verse 29 describes Isaac as being old and full of days. That phrase intrigued me, so I kept hunting until I found a commentary explaining.

Calvin's Commentary on the Bible says:
It means Isaac had fulfilled the course of his life; he departed by a mature death, which is ascribed to the blessing of God. It refers not only to the duration of his life, but also to the state of his feelings; implying that Isaac, being satisfied with life, willingly and placidly departed out of the world. When they have one foot in the grave, some decrepit old men have a horror of death. Being satisfied with the favor of God and with their own age prepares themselves for their departure. 
How about you and me, are we satisfied with what we have accomplished with our life? Are we ready and willing for death come take us away today? Have we completed the tasks God has for
us? Are we obeying Him right now? Are we fulfilling our course of life predestined for us?

LET IT GROW

We have already said good bye to one of our patriarchs-Abraham, who lived 175 years. Now his
son Isaac, who lived 180 years, died. They were both buried at Mamre, along with Sarah and Ishmael. This was the land and cave which Abraham purchased for the family burial back in
25:9-10.
It is good to see that Jacob and Esau were still at peace with each other. They came together again
in order to bury their father.
Poor Jacob, he had planned on seeing his mother after 20 years, but she too had passed away before
it happened. What an accumulation of trying times. Jacob lost his wife Rachel when she gave birth to Benjamin. Death is hanging around this family, isn't it?
So that's where we leave Jacob for a while. The next chapter discusses Esau's family and their
lives.

LET IT GO

Make sure your reservation is made in heaven.

Get ready for your departure from this world.

Trust Jesus as the only way to get there.

Leave my baggage of sin behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment