Monday, August 24, 2020

A Strength, Rock, and Refuge

O. T. #1762  "A Strength, Rock, and Refuge"
August 24, 2020
Jeremiah 16
O Lord, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction... (verse 19a)

LET IT GLOW

What is Jeremiah proclaiming in verse 19?
God is his:
  • strength, which means might; power; boldness; security; majesty; praise;
  • fortress, refers to a fortified place; fort; rock; strength; stronghold;
  • refuge, a retreat; escape; way to flee.
In this prayer, Jeremiah approached God with three descriptive names: strength, stronghold, and refuge. Each name gives a slightly different glimpse of how Jeremiah experienced God's presence, and each is a picture of security and protection. Let God be your strength when you feel weak, your stronghold when enemies come against you, and your refuge when you need to retreat from Life's pressures.
(Life's Application Study Bible)

Others in the Bible found God to be their strength, fortress, and refuge. Here are just a few:

In Psalm 18:2-3, David said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worth to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

Also, in Psalm 27, he acknowledged, The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

And, in Psalm 46:1, God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Isaiah stated in Isaiah 12:2, Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; He also is become my salvation.

Do we declare God to be your strength, fortress, and refuge?
Is our life of faith showing others that God is our strength to carry on, our fortress, and refuge to whom we go in our times of trouble?

LET IT GROW

What were the restrictions which God gave to Prophet Jeremiah?
  • celibacy, to not marry;
  • to not have children (verse 2);
  • have no personal or social interaction with the people of Judah;
  • no longer lament or rejoice with them.
Jeremiah's home situation was a sign to Judah-a sign of judgment upon God's people. The absence of children in Jeremiah's house was a warning that any children born in the land would die from deadly diseases or be finished off by sword and famine (verses 3-4). God had given up on this rebellious and hard-hearted people that He had disowned them. He would no longer lament or rejoice with them, so Jeremiah couldn't either. (Tony Evans)

Another sign to Judah was when Hosea was told to marry a prostitute, Gomer, showing Judah's unfaithfulness to God.

Following our God can require various sacrifices on our part. However, He sees our faithfulness and rewards it.

LET IT GO

Thank You, Jesus, for being my strength, my Rock, and my refuge when I need comfort and reassured love in my hard times.
There was Jesus in the waiting, in the searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment