Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dead Dogs

585.  "Dead Dogs"           August 15, 2012
2 Peter 1-Part 3
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 2 Peter 1:5-7 KJV


LET IT GLOW

You know what I was working on yesterday-having virtuous thoughts, feelings, and actions, well sisters, I didn't even get out the door when I was bombarded with ugly, judgmental thoughts, and words about a person. The phone rang  and the caller hinted for me to tell her what I knew about a certain person. I played dumb and didn't spill the beans. If I had laid it all out, she would have been stabbed in the heart. I mean, what does it matter, what a person did in their past, as long as they asked Jesus to forgive them? If our sins are under the blood, then they are remembered no more. Of course, that is Jesus who forgets them. We people don't forget so quickly. Sometimes I have dwelt on a situation all day, making me exhausted without a solution. Let dead dogs lie-don't dig up the skeletons. (Figuritively speaking)

Today I am working on knowledge-moral wisdom, such as is seen in right living. Ok, yes, today I am going to try to live right. You heard me, I mean you read it. How far will I get? I hope I at least make it through the front door.

So how are you doing? Are you joining me with this challenge of adding these virtues to faith?
(Sorry this wasn't an encouragment. On the other hand, maybe it is. I didn't hurt my dear friend's heart by telling her the truth. Secrets, who needs them?) 

LET IT GROW

Ready to add another block on top of faith? (See yesterday's post if you missed it.)

4. Patience means steadfast; a man who is unswerved from his deliberate purpose and his loyalty to
    faith and piety by even the greatest trial and sufferings. (Thayer's Lexicon)
    Patience, (hypomone in Greek) should be translated endurance or strength of character. (Falwell)
    Endurance in doing what is right, never giving in to temptation or trial. spiritual staying power that
    will die before it gives in. It is the virtue which can endure, not simply with resignation, but with a
    vibrant hope. (MacArthur)
   
Warren Wiersbe, in his book, Be Alert, says:
Patience is the ability to endure when circumstances are diffficult. It relates primarily to the pressures and problems of life. It is not developed automatically; we must work at it. (James 1:2-8) We must expect trials to come, because without trials we could never learn patience. Enjoy the confidence that God is at work, causing everything to work together for our good and His glory.

5. Godliness means reverance, respect, piety toward God. (Thayer's Lexicon)
    It means "God-likeness;" to worship well. It describes the man who was right in his relationship
    with God and with his fellow man. He lives above the petty thinlgs of life, the passions and
    pressures that control the lives of others. He seeks to do the will of God, and as he does, he seeks
    the welfare of others. (Wiersbe)

6. Brotherly kindness refers to the love which Christians cherish for each other as brethren.
    In the Greek, the word philadelphia is used here. If we love Jesus, we should practice a sincere love
    of the brethren (1Peter 2:22).
    Hebrewss 13:1 says, Let brotherly love continue.
    Romans 12:10 says, Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love.
    What is evidence that we are born again? 1 John 5:1-2 tells us it is the fact that we love our brothers
     and sisters in Christ.

7. Charity is the king of love spoken of in verse 7-agape love, the kind of love that God shows toward
    lost sinners. It is described in 1 Corinthians 13. The love that the Holy Spirit produces in our hearts
    as we walk in the Spirit. (Romans 5:5, Galatians 5:22)
    There is more to Christian growth than brotherly love; we must also have the sacrifical love that our
     Lord displayed when He went to the cross. Wiersbe)

Am I allowing and inviting God to work alongside me to produce these qualities?
Will God bring unlovely people my way so I can exhibit His love to them, the way he exhibited it to me? He sends me forth with His inexhaustible love.

So how is your faith stacking up?

LET IT GO

                                                                    Love
                      Brotherly kindness
    Godliness
Patience
Temperance
  Knowledge                              
  Virtue                                                 
   Faith

Nooooo! Maybe it should look like this:


Love
Brotherly Kindness
  Godliness
       Patience
Temperance
    Knowledge
Virtue
   Faith
   Jesus

Let my faith stack up high with Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment