Friday, January 6, 2012

You Have a Message

Hebrews 1-Part 2
Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets. And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son he created the universe. The Son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command.         Hebrews 1:1-3  NLT

LET IT GLOW

It has only been in the last few months since I have learned to used "Facebook." It is a modern tool for communication, which is used by millions. At my own leasure I can check updates on family members and friends. Just a couple of weeks ago, my daughter explained the usage of the "Message Box." Now I look to see if there are any new messages for me whenever I get on this site.

 As I read through the first chapter of Hebrews, I realized that God's message has been spoken. To think, that the One who created the universe and everything in it, would speak to us minute' people. It's estounding to me. How does this happen? This author of Hebrews tells us how God's message has been relayed to His people. Look at verse 1:

1. The message has been delivered in many parts and in many ways.
    The King James Version uses the words sundry and divers. According to Young's Concordance,
     sundry  means "many parts" and divers means "many ways." God's Word has been preserved
     throughout the ages. The Old Testament was revealed bit by bit, as men were ready and able to
     receive it. The OT was written in 39 different books, which reflect different historical times,
     locations, cultures, and situations. He used symbols, parables, and visions, written in both poetry
     and prose. Even though the literary form and style varied, it is God's revelation to us.

2. The message has been spoken unto our ancestors through the prophets.
     (It sounds like the author is a Jew speaking to Jews.) How creative our Father is! He used all sorts
     of methods to get His message out to His people. God used visions, dreams, events, and direct
     communication to reveal His message by the prophets. These men were speekers for God.
     "The prophets foretold the kingdom, deeds, and death of Jesus, the Messiah," according to
      Thayer's Lexicon.

  3. The message comes directly through His Son, Jesus Christ.
      No longer must it be relayed through the prophets.It is through Jesus that God has given His final
      message. That leads me to take a look at Jesus. Jesus spoke many informative things to us,
      revealing what the Father told Him. He showed us how we are to live as believers.

Jeremiah 9:20 says: Listen, you women, to the words of the Lord; open your ears to what He has to say.

Are my ears and heart open to what God has to say to me? Do I intently read a message directly from the King of the universe? How blessed we are to have His Word written down and available anytime it is needed. I think I shall start praying, "Father, speak to me personally. I open my ears to what You want to say to me through Your Word today."


LET IT GROW

Who is this Jesus?

*He is the Son of God.
Jesus said in John 10:30, I and my Father are one.  Jesus asked the Jews in John 10:36b (NIV), Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, "I am God's Son?"  John 5:18b says,... but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. 

*He is the Heir of  all things.
An heir is one who receives his allotted possession by right of sonship: so of Christ, all things being subjected to his sway, says Thayer's Lexicon. Romans 8:17 says, And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

*He is Creator of  the universe.
Worlds is the word King James uses. It refers to time, space, energy, and matter. John 1:3 says, All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. It is in Christ that all of the galaxies and every atom is held together.

*He is the Radiance of God's glory.
It expresses the concept of sending forth light or shining. In John 8:12, Jesus said, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. He is the shekinah glory of God that dwelt in the tabernacle and temple in Exodus 40:34-38 and 1Kings 8:10. Christ is to the Father what the rays of the sun are to the sun. "Because of Jesus, we are no longer in the dark about what God is really like." (Rick Warren)

*He is the expression of God's character.
Jesus is the exact representation, the perfect imprint, like an engraving on wood, an etching in metal, a brand on an animal, a stamped image on coins. We don't need to wonder what God is like, just look at Jesus.

*He is the Sustainer of the universe.
Colossians 1:17 says, And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. He is the God of providence who guides this universe to its divinely ordained destiny. He sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. (NLT verse 3)

*He is the Redeemer from sin.
Jesus has purged our sins be being the substitutionary sacrifice of Himself on the Cross. Titus 2:14 says, Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people zealous of good works.

*He is the Exalted One.
Jesus is sitting in the place of honor-at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven. The right hand is the place of power, authority, and honor. Jesus' work is finished, so He is sitting down. He is our King, Priest, Intercessor. Romans 8:34 says, It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.  He is Sovereign Lord, under the authority of the Father.

[Resources: Shepherd's Notes, The MacArthur Bible Commentary, Be Confident by Warren Wiersbe]

These are some foundamental beliefs for Jesus' followers. It's all about Jesus. Am I walking hand-in-hand with Jesus on my journey of life?


LET IT GO

By faith believe that Jesus is God's Son, my Creator, and my Redeemer.

Trust everything to the Sustainer of the universe; let go of worry.

Exalt and give glory to Christ Jesus, my Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment