Friday, January 27, 2012

Being Carried

Hebrews 6-Part 1
So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don't need to start again with the fundamental importance of repenting from evil deeds and placing our faith in God. You don't need further instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And so, God willing, we will move forward to further understanding.
Hebrews 6:1-3  NLT

LET IT GLOW

I recall the nightly routine when I five years old. Mom would warm up my pink quilt at the wood stove, place it in the covers, then carry me to a warm, cozy bed in the dead of winter. That was the time before electric blankets and space heaters. It got so cold in the back of the house, away from the wood stove, that the frost on the wooden-framed windows would ice over. Now that was cold, friends. Mom did that act of love because the doctor gave strick orders that I was not to walk for six month,s so I was carried everywhere.Also, the cold would make my joints and muscles ache. The reason for this was that I had a disease called rheumatic fever, which could damage the valves of my heart and joints of my bones. You see, I know about being carried. our writer mentions it in verse 1 when he says, Let us go on.

This phrase, let us go on, in the Greek is the word pherometha, is passive instead of active tense, doesn't involve going so much as "being carried" or "being moved." (Liberty Bible Commentary)

It refers to us moving on from being a baby Christian to a mature Christian. We do this by stop going over repeatedly the basic teachings about Christ (birth, death, resurrection). We are not leaving, as in abandoning, the basic doctrines, but they are the starting place not stopping place.(MacAuthur)

The foundation of our faith is laid, so we can build on it, but not forget it.

Am I ready to move on, get goin'?

LET IT GROW

According to Shepherd's Notes, the author of  Hebrews, gives us six elementary teachings of the faith:
  1. repentance-To repent means to chang one's mind; regret or remorse about our sins. We turn from our sins, evil deeds.
  2. faith-After repentance, we are able to exercise faith in our Lord Jesus.
  3. baptisms-A symbol of our spiritual cleansing, baptism shows that our old self has died and our new self is raised with Christ. It's an outward expression of an inward experience.
  4. laying on of hands-We share a blessing or show the setting apart of a person for the ministry whenever we lay on hands on a believer.
  5. resurrection of the dead-Those saved that are in the grieve when the trumpet sounds and Christ returns will be resurrected out of the grave first.
  6. final judgment-Those lost, unrepentatant people, will bow at the final judgment seat of Christ. Believers will bypass this.
As a Christian, my foundation is laid on Jesus Christ, His birth, death, and resurrection. Now that I know my ABC's, I can move forward spiritually, growing in faith and obedience. I can let God carry me along to maturity.

LET IT GO

Let go of anything holding me back from growing more in faith in Christ.

Daily stay in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment