Friday, July 29, 2011

How Many Times do I Have to Tell You?

1 Timothy 1-Part 2
As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine, Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
1 Timothy 1:3-4


LET IT GLOW

"How many times have I told you?" was such a repeated question at our house when our children were growing up. Do I even need to mention that  it was said wihile shaking my head no? How about you? I always had to repeat something in order for them to "get it." Probably, that is a common thing for parents and children. Isn't that how things learn, though, by repetition? Dare I wonder, taking it a step further, does my heavenly Father say the same thing about me, "How many times does that girl have to repeat this test before she 'gets it'?" However, since God is all-knowing, He knows how many times I'll have to repeat the test before it is learned. I hope He stays patient with me.

Yesterday, I bought a book by Warren Wiersbe entitled, Be Faithful, It's Always Too Soon To Quiet!
which is a study on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, and Philemon. As I read through the beginning, I noticed Wiersbe pointed out how many times a word or phrase was repeated in these four books. Here's what I found:
-faithful (pistos in Greek) was used at least 17 times,
-Savior, a title used 10 times,
-charge, sometimes translated "commandment" and "command" used 8 times,
-doctrine, teach, teacher, teaches, teaching used 32 times,
-conscience (s) used 21 times.

Looks like I'm not the only one who needs to hear something over and over again before I get it, or is sinks in.
Here's a verse in Isaiah 55:3, which says, Come to me with ears wide open. Listen, and you will find life."

So I need to listen to the Lord more closely.


LET IT GROW

Looking at our key veerses, Paul didn't waste time explaining the purpose of his letter to Timothy: to direct Timothy to stay in Ephesus so he could warn church leaders not to involve themselves in the spreading of false belief and practice. He charged Timothy to maintain his commitment and obedience to the Lord.

Abide means to stay put and charge some is to take a strong stand. (Liberty Bible Commentary)

Paul is encouraging Timothy to not leave due to myths trying to sidetrack God's people in argumenting and speculation rather than focusing on proclaiming the gospel and nurturing believers in the Christian life. (Shepherd's Notes)

I'll admit, sometimes it is hard to stay put when things aren't going well. It is even harder to take a strong stand for the Word of God when it's unpopular.


LET IT GO

Listen to what the Lord has to say to me, then obey.

Stay put until He says go.

Take a strong stand for the Lord and His Word and ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment