Friday, July 22, 2011

Flittering Hummingbirds

Thessalonians 3-Part 4
For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread. But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.
2 Thess. 3:11-13


LET IT GLOW

Have you ever sat quietly and still watching hummingbirds? For several years now, I have hung a feeder on our front porch for these tiny creatures. You know, the one with the red sweet liquid. It's amazing how fast they can fly, even going backwards. Sometimes I hear them go by before actually seeing them, they're so fast. My eyes can't see nor my brain comprehend how fast they flap their wings, flittering, I call it, in order to stay in place while drinking from the feeder. Well, I guess there are people like the hummingbirds. They flitter here and flitter there to tell some new news or add to some old news.

But, I must say, I'm not the kind of person who calls up people, staying on the phone for hours, discussing matters concerning others,  (getting into their business, if you will) nor do I stay on Facebook very long. I'm in and out there too. So what am I busy doing with my time? Is it spent studying  the Word of God, helping others, or doing good deeds for my family and the Lord?

If I look up the word busybody, whose face do I see? Is it  a neighbor, a friend, a family member, a church member? Rarely is it our own, right? I was trying to find something encouraging in today's scripture focus, but failed. So I take verse 11 as a warning as Paul recognizes a potential problem.

The New American Standard version says it this way: "For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies."

Okay, these people Paul is describing are not out working, nor minding their own business are they?
You know I had to look up the word busybody to see if my picture was there. Whew! I think I only saw 1/2 of my face. Could it be that I'm just as guilty because I listen to what others have to say, spreading jucy news, acting as a busybody, and I don't stop them? Yep, that's me. Instead of saying, "Oh really?" and encouraging them, I should "nip it in the bud" as Barney Fiff used to say, cutting them off at the pass so to speak. "It's none of my business, " is a better answer. Changing the subject by asking a question concerning that person might work.

Here's the definition found in Thayer's Lexicon using the word busybody-To bustle about uselessly, to busy one's self about trifling needlessly, useless matters. Young's Concordance says it's to work all around.

So what a busybody does is useless, of no value. Webster's Dictionary defines useless without function or effect, not useful. Well then, what a busybody does or says accomplishes nothing good.
I don't think I want to be one of those bustling, trifling, flittering bb's.

In his book Steadfast Christianity, Charles Swindoll says, "Busybody is a neon word that flashes intermittently throughout the New Testament. It means to meddle in the lives of others. Busybodies flit from house to house taking little nectared drops of gossip with them, leaving behind their own residue of irritating pollen. There's a vast difference between putting your nose in other people's business and putting your heart into their problems; the curious versus the caring."

Which am I?


LET IT GROW

It looks like Paul's advice in verse 12 is similar to what he gave in his first letter: "And to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you," found in 1 Thessalonians 4:11.

What does quietness mean in this verse? It is descriptive of the life of one who stays at home doing his own work, and does not officiously meddle with the affairs of others. (Thayer's Lexicon)

That's plain and simple, isn't it?

Just as there is planting, watering, and waiting for a harvest by the farmer in the physical sense, there is the same process in the spiritual sense, too. See James 5:7-8.

Galatians 6:9 says, "And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary."

Friend, keep on sharing the love of Jesus. Scatter those seeds of faith. Don't be weary in well doing. Jesus will reward us. We may even see some fruit of our labor while here on earth. We'll work til Jesus comes and we'll be gathered home.

LET IT GO

Don't be a busybody; be a body busy for Jesus.

Be refreshed every day by our Lord and His Word.

Be not weary in will doing.  Serve Jesus, not self.

No comments:

Post a Comment