Friday, February 7, 2020

A Changed Mind

O. T. #1624 "A Changed Mind"
Feb. 7, 2020
Isaiah 38-Part 2
Lord, your discipline is good, for it leads to life and health. You restore my health and allow me to live! Yes, this anguish was good for me, for You have rescued me from death and forgiven all my sins.  (verse 16-17, NLT)

LET IT GLOW

Beginning with verse 9, we read a hymn of thanksgiving, a poetic song of praise by King Hezekiah. What happened in his life previously, Hezekiah was deathly sick due to a boil. Even Isaiah told him, by word from the Lord, to set his house in order. When Hezekiah prayed and wept, changed his mind and extended his life 15 years.

How did this experience change Hezekiah?
  • He was in the land of the living. (verse 11,16)
  • He gave credit to God-He spoke it and did it.(verse 15)
  • He was humbled before the Lord, no longer prideful. (verse 15)
  • He would sing God's praises with instruments every day of his life in the Temple. (verse 20)
How wonderful it is when your are about to die and God rescues you, extends your life. Many of you have read my testimony of this happening to me after surgery when I stopped breathing. Every day I try to remember to thank my merciful God for breath of life He has given me. Causes us to have a new perspective on life.

LET IT GROW

The Lord's favorable response illustrates His willingness to alter His stated intentions when His people pray. (David Jeremiah)

We have read examples of God showing mercy as He changed His mind:
  • Exodus 32:9-14: Most of the Hebrews would not believe the report of Joshua and Caleb in that they could conquer the Promised Land and wanted to stone them. As a result, God was going to wipe them out and raise up another nation of believers. Mosses interceded for his people, saying the Egyptians would hear of it and declare God was not able to bring them there.
  • Genesis 19-God was going to destroy Sodom because of their sin of homosexuality. Abram's nephew Lot and family lived there, so Abram interceded for his family. Lot and his two daughters were the only survivors of the city.
Is there someone we need to pray for, intercede to God for today? God may show them mercy because of your prayer.

Did you notice that after Hezekiah praised the Lord, then God gave the treatment for his boil?

LET IT GO
Thank You, my God, for being so good to me.
You are so merciful and loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment