Thursday, May 30, 2019

A Banquet You Will Not Want to Miss

O. T. #1454  "A Banquet You Will Not Want to Miss"
May 30, 2019
Proverbs 9

LET IT GLOW

I pray everyone is staying safe during the storms lately. My state seems to be getting an abundance of rain, resulting in flooding. Yesterday, a very strong wind and hail came through. I figure it was a twister causing it all. Hail was hitting against windows on 3 sides of the house and on the roof. We have an attic, so it was so unusual to hear it there. Our porch swing was beat up as it banged against the roof of the porch. An empty water tank for the cows was moved off its concrete foundation. No house damage, though. No trees were uprooted here, but the next town had it happen. Well, I kept telling my granddaughter to not be afraid, God was with us, in spite of my being scared out of my wits. So glad I know the Master of the wind and the rain.
This morning, calves got out of their field, due to the gap in the fence. So I helped my son with his cowboy duties. Now to settle down into the Word.

Who doesn't like to go to a fancy banquet? I have attended a few in my time. They make me feel special. We get all dressed up and cleaned up in our best, then remember our manners. Look at these banquets mentioned in this chapter.

Both Wisdom and folly are portrayed as young of women preparing a feast, banquet, inviting people. We read of a contrast of the two:
Wisdom has a responsible character; has servants preparing food; appeals to the mind first; her satisfaction lasts forever.
Folly is a prostitute serving stolen food; appeals to the senses; her pleasures are temporary.

Which banquet would we prefer to attend?
Who is Wisdom inviting?
Verses 4-6 tells us the inexperienced, simple (foolish) are invited to Wisdom's banquet. What is she inviting them to do?

Leave inexperience (foolish) behind, and you will live; pursue the way of understanding.

LET IT GROW

This banquet has some similarities with the one Jesus described in one of His parables found in Luke 14:15-24:
Many intend to go, but they never make it because they get sidetracked by other activities that seem more important at the time. Excuses included: buying land, oxen, and getting married. So the master of the house instructed his servants to go into the streets and invite the poor, maimed, and blind to his feast.
Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

Jesus is telling His children to do the same. His gracious invitation is to the banqueting table of the marriage supper of the Lamb in heaven, which is to come. It will be a banquet that you will not want to miss. The church is the servant. It is God our Father who is preparing the feast for us.
Are we inviting others to become one of God's children?

LET IT GO

Search the Scriptures in search for Wisdom.
Remember, the best is yet to come.
Invite others to join us at the banqueting table of Jesus, through His salvation.

2 comments:

  1. Linda,
    Glad you are safe, even with your close encounter. We, too, have had storms all around us, but have been kept safe.
    Love how you brought out the points of both the wise and the foolish. May we continue to do and be wise.
    Prayers my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear from you Gaylene. I like how you described my close encounters. Those who are our age will understand.
    I hope your family is doing well.
    Doesn't it seem more difficult these days to be a wise person and live in this present world?
    Have a great weekend. Always praying for my blog family.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete