Friday, July 27, 2018

Casting out the Line

O. T. #1250  "Casting Out the Line"
July 27, 2018
Psalm 55
Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and He shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. Psalm 55:22

LET IT GLOW


It has been years since I have been fishing. Dad taught me how to cast the line out into the water so I could catch a fish. I would release the button that stopped the line from being released, rared back with the pole over my shoulder, and flung it as hard as I could. Sometimes it would plop down in front of me in the water. But, as I got better at the casting, the hook and sinker would go farther out into the water. That was where the fish usually were located.
David learned to cast. It wasn't a fishing pole, but something else which he cast upon the Lord. Read on to see what it was.

Again, it is thought that this chapter is written by David during the rebellion of his son Absalom, which is found in 2 Samuel 15. Also, it is similar to the sufferings of Christ.

In verses 16 and 17, we read of David praying and crying morning, noon, and night unto the Lord God. He trusts in God to rescue him. What else did David do? Our key verse tells us that David:
  • Gave his burden to the Lord.
  • Believed God would take care of him.
  • He trusted that God would not allow His godly children to slip and fall.
Falwell said, "The burden, literally portion, has been assigned to us by the Lord; and He will sustain us in what He assigns,."

Whenever our burdens are too heavy for us to bear, we are to remember that they are not too heavy for the Great Burden Bearer.
1 Peter 5:7 tells us Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you.

This burden is a mental thing. I looked up the meaning. Cast refers to throw out, down, away, off, or out.

Folks, we got to get rid of this thing that is weighing us down in our mind. We need to throw it down at the foot of the feet of Jesus. Ask Him to take care of it, for you can't. Then we will have peace of mind. May we always remember that God cares for us. So much that He suffered physically for us, taking our punishment of our sins.
Bless Your holy name, Jesus.


LET IT GROW

Have you noticed a pattern here? I mean, it seems to me that David has sang a lot of these psalms which deal with this subject. Or is just me? Well, it is justifiable since he ran for his life from Saul  about 12 years before Saul died. Aren't we like David? We have things weighing down our mind, perhaps a result of our doings, or someone else's doings.
Will we learn to do as David did-caste our burdens upon the Lord? Talk to Him about it now. He loves us very much.

LET IT GO

Please Jesus, set me free from this burden that has been plaguing me for years.
I cast it upon You.
Thank You for Your lovingkindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment