Wednesday, April 11, 2018

A Candle

O. T. #1187  "A Candle"
April 11, 2018
Psalms 18-Part 3
For Thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.  Psalms 18:28

LET IT GLOW

A few years ago, we were without electricity for a week. We would use candles for our light until the generator was hooked up. I would carry one with me whenever I went into another room. David is saying in this section of chapter 18 that God is our light for our life. His Word lights up our path for us to travel, showing us how to live in our situation, which way to turn as we make decisions. When God is there, darkness leaves.

God is going to light David's candle. He will be the psalmist's light in his darkest hour. David has this full assurance since he has lived uprightly. We can have that same promise as we live righteously in Christ Jesus. When we feel that we are walking in dark discouragement, we can turn to Jesus, the Light of the World.

There are eighteen other verses in which David uses the word light as he wrote the Psalms. Here are a couple of familiar ones:
Psalms 27:1a, The LORD is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear?
Psalms 119:105, Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

In Matthew 5:16, we are told to Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Is God's light on display in our life so others will Christ working and living in our life?

In John 8:12, Jesus said, I am the light of the world: he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Does Jesus light up our life? Is He the source of our joy?

LET IT GROW

We do not want to skip over verse 25-27 where God gives to everyone according to their  measure of giving:
  • mercy to the merciful; (verse 25)
  • uprightness to those who are upright, without spot, undefiled, integrity, truth; 
  • purity to those who are pure; (verse 26)
  • forward to him who shows himself forward, distorted, false, crooked, perverse;
  • rescue the humble, and humiliate the proud. (verse 27)
If we want mercy, then we need to show mercy to others. If we don 't want to be humiliated, then we should be humble.

LET IT GO
                     ...and let Jesus be the light of my life.
                                ... and show mercy, be upright, and humble.
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment