Monday, February 5, 2018

Overcomer

O. T. #1147  "Overcomer"
Feb. 5, 2018
Job 23

LET IT GLOW

Don't quit; don't give in; you're an overcomer. I like that song. Are we an overcomer? No matter what life or evil throws at us, we still stand strong. No matter the tests God puts us through, we don't crumble and turn away from Him. Stand strong in our faith, strong in our convictions, faithful in our calling. I really would like to be that way, but friends, I have yet to reach the place Job was spiritually. How about you?

Let's look at some things Job has to say which are found in verses 10-14 NLT:
But He knows where I am going.
And when He tests me, I will come out as pure as gold.
For I have stayed on God's paths;
I have followed His ways and not turned aside.
I have not departed from His commands,
but have treasured His words more than daily food.
But once He has made His decision, who can change His mind?
Whatever He wants to do, He does.
So He will do to me whatever He has planned.
He controls my destiny.

Be assured, God knows where we are on this bumpy road called life. We may experience some of Job's difficulties, but usually not all at the same time as he did. They may be spread out over a lifetime. Loosing loved ones, loosing a job, a house, our retirement, our savings; they may vanish suddenly or gradually.
The question is, "Do we desire what God does?" Is His path ours? Are we on His path that He has mapped out for us so we can accomplish His will? If so, then shall we be an overcomer today?



LET IT GROW

There are a couple of things Job says that should be noted. (This is his eighth speech, his third reply to Eliphas.)
1. Say what you wish, guys, but God knows the way I take. After this trial is over, and God has
     accomplished His purpose in my life, then I will come out as pure as gold.
    When we come out of the fiery trials, we may smell like smoke, but the impurities will be burnt off
     of our life. We may even have something that remains with us as a reminder, like Paul. Let the
     divine  filter bring us out a pure as gold. May we shine with Jesus.
2. God knows the way I'm taking, the path I am on.
    It was a lonely one, for Job lost his 10 children and his wife encouraged him to curse God and die.
    Whacky friends were not comforting, but judgmental. God is fully aware of what is happening to
     us. He is completely in charge. Are we holding fast to His path?
3. I'm unable to understand the plan of God, but I trust Him. As God's plan unfolds, I still don't
    understand it, so I have to trust God.
    God doesn't ask us permission to do what He does. More times than not, we have no preview,
    either. No explanation, no ending revealed, no length of time assured. so are we keeping our feet
    on the path of faith He has for us? Are we willing to wait out the storm and serve Him in the
    meantime? Is His Word a treasure in our heart?
4. He performs what is appointed for me. It was my destiny.
    We have imperfections. We need to loose things like temper, giving up, weaknesses in
    temptations. Though we may be in the dark about things happening, in a dry spell, and silence with
    God, we know He is there with us. Surely tough times will not last forever. If they do, then heaven
     is just a breath away.
[Resource: Job, A Man of Heroic Endurance, by Charles R. Swindoll]


LET IT GO

Put off what hinders me and run the race of faith.
Stay on the path God has put me on.
Watch for the curves.
Life my destiny-an overcomer.

    


No comments:

Post a Comment