Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Treading Deep Water

O.T. #172  "Treading Deep Water"
Nov. 19, 2013
Exodus 14-Part 4
And Israel saw that great work which the LORD did upon the Egyptians: and the people feared the LORD, and believed the LORD, and His servant Moses.  Exodus 14:31

LET IT GLOW

I don't do well in water that is over my head. In fact, I usually avoid it altogether. Oh, I can swim fine, even tread water, but it scares me. Deep water over my head has always scared me despite growing up near a creek where I learned to swim. If I can't see the bottom, forget it. I ain't going in. And don't even think of splashing water in my face or dunking me, or you'll have a fight on your hands. Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy swimming, just in a shallow pool.

Looking back, there were times in my life which seemed to have me scared and in the depths of despair. I was treading the roaring waters of worry instead of walking on dry ground of faith.
Shall we see which way the Egyptian army reacted to their deep sea?

We recall that the Egyptians chased after their former slaves after experiencing the plagues of God. He protected His people by coming between the Egyptian army and Israel using darkness to stop their pursuit with a dark cloud, while the Israelites crossed the sea with light from a pillar of fire. God parted the sea with a strong wind, and it continued to stay in place while 2 million Israelites crossed over into the Promised Land on dry ground.

How did the LORD save the Israelites?
  • The Egyptians lost their wheels on the chariots in the midst of the Red Sea.
  • The Egyptians realized that the LORD was fighting for the Israelites and wanted to flee.
  • The LORD told Moses to stretch out his hand over the sea, which resulted in the waters returning to its origin.
  • The Egyptian armies lost their lives by drowning in the Red Sea.
  • Not one man in the army survived.

In reference to this event, Psalm 77:17-19 comments found in  Liberty Bible Commentary says:

God had made a way for the Israelites to escape the treacheries of Pharaoh and his armies. In the deep secret channels of the Red Sea, God had prepared the pathway. It is not for man to attempt to understand the way God leads, but simply to trust the way He leads. It is God who leads His people by the hand of His servants Moses and Aaron. When we have successfully traversed the depths of despair, we will be able to look back and recognize that we have been led through by the Shepherd and Bishop of our souls (1Peter 2:25). (my emphasis)
Are we letting the Lord lead us through our deep waters of life with His hand?

LET IT GROW

The results of that experience were:
  • salvation from Egypt,
  • destruction of the Egyptian army,
  • Israel's respect, fear, and trust in God,
  • Israel's acceptance of Moses as the true spokesman for God. (Falwell)

Charles Swindoll gives us four lessons from this chapter:
1. It takes tight places to break lifetime habits.
2. When hemmed in on all sides, the only place to look is up.
3. If the Lord is to get the glory, the He must do the fighting.
4. "Red Seas" open and close at the Lord's command, not until.

Remember, friend, you are an over comer. Stay in the fight until the final round. Don't go under and give up. He is holding you in His hand. Take hope. Don't give in. Kick when the depths of despair are getting deep for you. Cry out to Jesus for help when your "Red Sea" Experience seems hopeless.

LET IT GO

Let God be God.

When experiencing tight places, feeling hemmed, fighting alone, then keep walking by faith and cross over my Red Sea.

Give thanks to Him and praise His name. (Ps. 100:4)

*Dear believers, will you please pray for my only sister (age 69) today as she has breast cancer surgery? I will update you as I hear news. Thank you so much for your faithfulness in reading, praying, and encouraging me.


No comments:

Post a Comment