Thursday, July 11, 2013

Best Work

O.T.#82  "Best Work"
July 11, 2013
Genesis 39-Part 1
And Joseph found grace in his sight.  Genesis 39:4a

LET IT GLOW

I remember how excited I was when I got my first job. We had only been married a couple of months. The job was sewing collars onto children's clothes. My parents knew my supervisor so
that helped me get it, I'm sure, because I had no work record. I always loved to sew, so what better thing to do and get paid for it? I stayed focused on my work, tried to do my best, and sew the most collars on that I could within an hour. Besides getting paid for what I loved to do, I could see all the new clothes for kids. At that time I had twin nieces that were two years old. I often went out to the car to eat my lunch and read my Bible. I was hungry, even back then, for the Word of God.

We left Judah's family at the birth of twin boys, one of which was Perez.

He became the ancestor of Jesus the Messiah (Matt. 1:3, Luke 3:33). God took the son of this ungodly situation and put him in the family line of the Messiah, despite the fact that neither parents were examples of godliness. this is a glorious example of grace. God chose them despite their works, to have a role in His plan of redemption. The sons of Israel (Jacob) were by no means an all-star team. They were a corrupt and problem-filled family. ( David Guzik)

Now back to Joseph, the one favored by his father and hated by his brothers.
This chapter expresses God's quiet control and the man of faith's quiet victory. (Kidner)

Joseph exchanged his tailored coat for a servant's garb. God forced him to learn how to work.
This way he learned humility and the importance of obeying orders. Because Joseph was faithful in the small things, God promoted him to greater things (Prov., 22:29, 12:24). (Wiersbe)

Joseph was brought down to Egypt. Did you catch that? He had to be brought down before he was lifted up to second in command. The Ishmaelite merchants sold Joseph to Potiphar. Who was Potiphar? He was an officer of Pharaoh, the king of Egypt; he was captain of the guard.

What do we notice about this 17 year old Joseph?
  • He begins as a trusted slave in the house of Potiphar.
  • The LORD was with him.
  • He was a prosperous man.
  • His master saw that the LORD was with him.
  • Potiphar saw that the LORD made all that Joseph did to prosper in his hand.
Sounds like Joseph was noticed, was a prized slave, different from the rest, his works made him
shine above all the others. What is funny to me is that his boss realized that it was the LORD that had His hand upon Joseph and blessed his work. I wonder if Joseph was bold enough to share
his God with Potiphar. He must have learned their language along the way. I don't read of it until later when his brothers come. It would have been needful.

Do our works honor our God? Do we prosper, not because of us, but because we honor our Lord Jesus with our work?

LET IT GROW

God's guidance in Joseph's life was to prepare for Jacob's household a way out of the dangerous conditions depicted in chapters 37-38. (Falwell)

What do we learn about Joseph over time?
  • Joseph found grace in his master's sight and Joseph served him.(verse 4) Grace means favor.
  • Joseph was made overseer over his master's house. (verse 4)
  • Joseph was put in charge over all that Potiphar had. (verse 4)
  • The LORD blessed the Egyptian house for Joseph's sake. (verse 5)
  • Potiphar left all that he had in Joseph's hand; entrusted to his care everything he owned.       With Joseph in charge, Potiphar didn't concern himself with anything except the food he ate.      (verse 6, NIV) Potiphar didn't know the full extent of his own business affairs (verse 8).
  • Joseph was a goodly person and well favored. NIV describes him as well-built and handsome.   
Overseer means to care for; do judgment, lay up, look, an officer, have oversight. (Strong's Exhaustive Concordance)

The blessing of the LORD was upon all that he had in the house and in the field. Joseph was
steward over the whole estate, house and field; one criteria for which was trust. Joseph was experiencing fulfillment of the Abrahamic covenant, even at that time before Israel was in the
land (12:1-3) (MacArthur)

New Living Translation describes Joseph as being Potiphar's personal attendant. All of Potiphar's household affairs ran smoothly and his crops and livestock flourished. He gave Joseph complete administrative responsibility over everything he owned.

It sounds like Joseph was around the house, the place, in the office a lot for his job. Everyone knew who he was and liked their boss, I figure.
What kind of reputation do we have at work? Are we faithful stewards with what we have been
put in charge? Are we honoring the Lord Jesus in our work? Do I find grace, favor, in God's sight?
Whether it's scrubbing the shower, doing laundry, or working outside the home, am I doing my
best to honor Jesus?

Colossians 3:17 says, And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Colossians 3:23-24 state, And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto
men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve
the Lord Christ.

LET IT GO

Let go of the past and forgive people. Focus on the present and the future.

Be trustworthy in all my dealings, in all my work.

Thank and praise the Lord for my job and household chores.

Work for the Lord.










No comments:

Post a Comment