Friday, May 11, 2012

Mercy Me, I am Guilty

517.  "Mercy Me, I am Guilty"          May 11, 2012
James 2-Part 2
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. James 2:10


LET IT GLOW

After I got my driver's license, at age 17, my folks let me drive the car to a local town. I was alone, driving the local teenager hot-spots, talking with friends. As it got later, nature called, so I went to a nearby station. While I was inside, it started to rain. As I began backing out of the parking spot, a car pulled in behind me, which I didn't see, and backed into it. It was a nice older couple. They took my dad's phone number and didn't call the police to report the accident. so I had to tell Dad about it, which was very difficult. It turned out ok, and my folks only paid $50 for the damage. The best thing is that it didn't go on my driving record nor insurance. (Dad disn't even yell at me nor take away my driving privileges.  Altogether, you could say I was shown mercy, though I was guilty. Isn't that the way it is with God?

Verse 13 says mercy rejoiceth against judgment. (KJV)

NIV in verses 12-13 states, Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

Mercy is mentioned 3 times in the King James version. The first mercy mentioned is referring to merciless, without mercy. This is the person who does not show mercy to others.
The second and third mercy, refer to kindness or good will towards the miserable and afflicted, joined with a desire to reliever them. One meaning is of men towards men and the other is of God towards men. Since I can't read Greek, I can't distinguish which meaning goes where in the sentence. (My husband isn't here to help me, either, sorry.) I tend to think the second meaning goes with the second word and so the third meaning goes with the third word.

John Gill says,"Heathens will be judged by the law of nature, Jews by the law of Moses, and those who live under the Gospel dispensation, according to the Gospel of Christ."

If that is so, then whatever believers do and say will be judged by the law that sets us free. There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if I have been merciful, God will be merciful when He judges me. (NLT)

Am I merciful to others?

Aren't we glad that His mercies are new every morning! And His mercy endures forever! (Ps. 136) His mercy is everlasting! (Ps. 100:5)

LET IT GROW

Look back at verse 10. If I offend, stumble or trip, at one law, then I am guilty of breaking all of God's Laws. As I learned in the last lesson, if I show partiality, I have sinned. Therefore, I need to repent and ask God's forgiveness. (If you aren't a Christian, ask Jesus to forgive you and come into your heart.)

Continue speaking and continue doing good. Christians ought to conduct themselves as if judgment may come at any moment. (Falwell)

The measure we use to measure others will be used to measure us. (Matt. 7:22)

Only one sin makes me guilty of all sins. I am to guard against selective obedience, seen in verse 11.

2 Corinthians 5:10 says, For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

 MacArthur said,"The person whose life is characterized by mercy is ready for the day of judgment, and will escape all the charges that strict justice might bring against him because, by showning mercy to others, her gives genuine evidence of having received God's mercy."

Someone said that mercy is not getting what we deserve; grace is getting what we don't deserve.

OOOeeeeeeeee! Mercy there was grace and grace was free; pardon there was multiplied to me; there my burdened soul found liberty at Calvary.


LET IT GO

Show mercy and receive mercy.

Repent, for I am guilty of sins; daily repent for I daily sin.

Thank God for His mercy that is everlasting, new every morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment