Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Letting go of the Rope

2 Timothy 3-Part 6
Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.  2 Timothy 3:12


LET IT GLOW

I recall a time when I was a kid and we went down to the "ole swimmin' hole" near my cousins' house. It was called Ole Blue. You guessed it, the water looked blue because it was deep. Across  to the other side was a  bank where someone hung a long rope from a tree. A knot had been made at the end of the rope so one could hold on or ride it. Kids would swimg out on the rope and drop down into the water. My cousins would have a blast doing it. Of couse, they had to swim back across the deep and climb up a steep bank in order to repeat the process. Not me, though. I was a scardy cat, afraid of water and heights so I watched from the rocky sand bar.

When I think about it, those guys had to come to the end of their rope and let go so they'd experience the fun of splashing into the water. Otherwise, they'd be swinging back and forth, and eventually dangle there near the cliff, which could get them hurt. (There was no turning back once a person was swinging. Dropping was the only way down.)
Dear friends, today, I'm at the end of my rope and I'm ready to drop into Jesus' arms. I am in need of some grace and love as salve for my wounds. Have you been there lately? This verse didn't come none too soon. It was right on time for me and my situation.
So,  I am delighted to inform you that I have found another promise in God's Word for us. The only thing is, it is very hard for me to swallow. The reason being, I have to let go of the rope, give up my will, and surrender to God's will; I have to trust in His timing as He works in people's hearts and lives; as I am  at the end of my rope, and I must let go so He can do His work, His way, and in His time. Do you see what I mean? This is very hard to do. I want Him to stop hateful words spoken to me by Christians, stop rebellious people from being angry at me and turn away; stop  friends avoiding me; stop lies being told about me; stop people from making fun of me. Need I continue?

All right, Lord, You catch me as I let go of the rope, control of my life and will. I'm surrendering.
Are you ready for the promise? Here it is:
"All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall  suffer persecution.

"Here is a promise with a great prospect," says Liberty Bible Commentary.

The word persecution  in Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology:
Two Greek words, dioko and diogmos, which both emphasize the concept of "pursue" (Luke 17:23, Gen. 44:4), "press on" (Prov. 11:19, Phil. 3:12); their meanings can be extended to include"pursuing or pressing on, to oppress, harass, and to bring to judgment or punishment." Two other Greek words, used mean "oppress," "persecute," are thlipsis (opression, affliction) and thlibo (press on, oppress; to be oppressed, persecuted).

Examples given were Cain, Elijah, David, Jeremiah, Daniel, John the Baptist, Stephen, Paul, and Jesus.
All the persecution of the godly came as the result of the sin and animosity of sinners who rejected these who lived godly lives and also rejected their message that sinners must repent and turn in faith to Jesus Christ for salvation. (Baker's Dictionary)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not jumping up and down with joy over this promise. so I'm taking it by faith. There are more scriptures concerning persecution:

Matthew 5:10-12 says,  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

1 Peter 3:14-17 says, But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be toubled; but sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for will doing, than for evil doing.

So persecution will come and I need to get my attitude right so I can rejoice and grow bitter.

LET IT GROW

If I want to live a godly life, to make a lasting difference, I will be misunderstood, mistreated, maligned, and hated. (Swindoll)

Now that it has been established, I'll be persecuted because I am trying to live godly, how do I handle it?
  • Love my enemies, because God is kind to the ungrateful and wicked (Matt. 5:44, Luke 6:35).
  • Exercise forbearance and mercy, because God will avenge and repay (Rom. 12:19, Deut. 32:35).
  • The world hated Jesus and will hate his disciples (John 15:18-19).
  • Follow in Jesus' steps: "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in His mouth. When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retalliate; when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly" (1 Peter 2:21-23). [Baker's Dictionary]
"Living a godly life will not insulate you from hardship. Paul said that the more blameless your life, the more likely you wuill be persecuted. As the world increasingly embraces sin, worldly people ware becoming increasingly intolerant of godliness. Darkness cannot tolerate light; the more your life illuminates the presence of Christ, the more you should expect opposition from the forces of darkness. Your Christlike nature will be offensive to those in rebellion against Christ's lordship.Persecution may be the best evidence that your life is like that of Christ." [from  Experiencing  God Day-By-Day by Henry and Richard Blackaby]

For Paul, persecuting Christians could be a living and visible testimony to the crucified and risen Christ
 (2 Cor. 4:7-12).

Am I continuing to live by faith and obedience to the Word? I should continue with patience, endurance,  steadfastness, prayer, thanksgiving, and with the grace of God.

This was a different kind of promise, wasn't it? One that is difficult to accept, but is truth. How will I react to it-with expectation of being persecuted or with discouragment, dropping my  rope of faith? What am I hanging onto anyway?


LET IT GO

Let go of the ropes of my life  and fall into Jesus arms.

Follow His will and His ways, no matter what the consequences.

Expect persecution when I live a godly life.

Don't let bitterness and unforgiveness be a part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment