Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lists

229.  "Lists"                                       April 5, 2011

Colossians 2-Part 5
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.          Colossians 2:14-15

LET IT GLOW

I don't know if it is due to my forgetfulness because of my age, or what. I have to make lists. There's the grocery list so needed items are purchased, the things-to-do list so they get done, and the list of events for the month so I don't forget them. Whew! Now where did I put my list?

There was a rap sheet, a debit ledger, a list of my sins, that condemed me before God. It included those things I was guilty of committing, my sins, my breaking of the law. (I'm sure it was quite long.) However, it was cancelled, stamped paid in full, by the blood of Jesus Christ that He shed on the cross. Now that's good news! I don't have to pay for my sins; Jesus did it for me. But, that is humbling, too. He didn't have to do it. He did it because He loves me, a sinner. Thank You Lord Jesus, for the price You paid for me!

Blotting means to obliterate, erase, wipe out, according to Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament.

Liberty Bible Commentary says:
This explains forgiveness. The bond here is the certification of debt, the instrument of condemnation, the indictment drawn up against a prisoner, and a signed confession of indebtedness. It was blotted out, taken out of the way, and nailed to His cross. This was a once-for-all removal. In the East, a bond is cancelled by nailing it to the post. Our bond of guilt was nailed to His cross.
The weapons of the evil ones, the principalities and powers, are disarmed. It was by His death that Christ conquered His enemies, stripped them of their power, exposed them to public disgrace, held them up in contempt, and led them captive in His triumph.


According to Ephesians 1:21-22, all things are under His feet.
Even after 40 years of being a Christian, it still amazes me. but that's a good thing, isn't it?


LET IT GROW

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ,"
states verses 16-17.

In other words, no one should act as our judge, condemning us for what we eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or ceremonies or Sabbaths. Christ is the reality.
Beck version of the New Testament says "The real things are in Christ."

These matters listed are matters of legalism. Paul was warning the Colossians about them. Before Christ came, these were a shadow of things to come. Now that He has come, we don't have to observe them in order to be right before God.

"Days and foods, as observed under the Mosaic Law, aren't binding upon New Covenant people. Don't judge another brother or sister who does or doesn't obseve such laws," according to David Guzik.


LET IT GO

My sins were nailed to the cross and forgiven.

Rejoice!

Be free in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment