Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rocks and Stones

Romans 9
As it is written, Behold, I lay in Zion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed. Romans 9:33
And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.    Is 8:14
Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation  a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.    Is 28:16

LET IT GLOW

There have been times whenever I was walking on my country road that I stumbled over a rock. They aren't big rocks, mind you, smaller than  my fist, yet I stumbled. God forewarned the Jews that they would stumble over a stone, which is Jesus. They were so hard set on the law, that they stumbled over Him.

In the key  verse, 33, Paul is quoting Isaiah 8:14 and 28:16. There are several names for Jesus found here-
Rock, Tried Stone, Corner Stone, Sure Foundation, Rock of Offence, Stumbling Stone.

In Wesley's Explanatory Notes, he says:
They (Jew) stumbled at that stumbling stone-Christ crucified; it was foretold by their own prophet (Isaiah).
Though it is in truth the only sure foundation of happiness, yet will be in fact a stumblingstone and rock of offence-anoccasion of ruin to many, through their obstinate unbelief.

I realize that Jesus is the foundation of my faith, a solid rock on which I can build my life on, a firm corner stone that supports me during the storms of life. Does He make me stumble around? Is He a rock of offense? I don't think so.

LET IT GROW

In the first part of this chapter, Paul shows us the sovereignty of God.
According to Holman Bible Dictionary, the word sovereignty means God is in all and over all. It includes:
1. God is Lord of creation, brought the world into being and guides us toward a meaningful end.
2. God is to be obeyed not simply because He's mighty but because He is righteous. (Ps.50:6
3. God's purpose is to bring His creation to fulness and completion, to fellowship with Him. (Phil.2:13)
4. Not everyting which occurs in the world is God's will. His permissive will provides human freedom and
    laws of nature.


Jerry Falwell states in the Liberty Bible Commentary: 
God's  Sovereignty is exhibited:
  • in Israel's identity (verses 1-8) .The children of God are those who believe in the God of Abraham.
  • God's personal choices. (verses 9-13) . God chose Isaac and Jacob.
  • God's powerful will (verses 14-24) . Not even Pharoah's power was sufficient to thwart the eternal purpose of God.
  • in Israel's partial blindness (verses 25-33) . Israel trusted in Egypt for deliverance from Assyria instead of God. Had Israel trusted in her God rather than her law and her neighbors, she woul not have been confounded and dispersed throughout the world.
I can rest in God being sovereign. I'm glad that He is in control of the universe and my life. It brings me peace. There have been times in which I have been the one in control instead of submitting to His control for my life.

In verse 15, God chooses to whom He shows mercy and compassion. I praise You Father for Your mercy and compassion on me, a sinner. His love endures forever.

LET IT GO

Jesus is the rock and stone of Linda's life.

Surrender to His sovereign will for my life.

Be grateful that He daily shows me mercy and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment